Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Another something we all know

While in Wamego at my grandfathers funeral, we took the opportunity to go find the graves of my great grandparents and their siblings. We looked at four cemetaries in all, and I noted that on many of them, under their names and death dates, the words "Proud parents of... " were written for everyone to see. What wasn't written was "Proud owner of a huge house, three brand new cars, a big boat, four European vacations, a summer cottage in Venice...", etc. Just another reminder that when it comes down to it, none of those things matter in the end. What matters is our family. That's what will be important when we're old. That's what we will cherish. We will want our family to visit, our great grandchildren on our knees. It won't matter what our money was able to buy us.

My dad's mom and dad raised four kids in a two bedroom house- two sets of bunkbeds in one of the rooms. My mom's mom and dad raised three kids in a two bedroom house, with all three girls sharing one room. I'm sure space was tight. I imagine neither family was wealthy, especially not by today's standards. They made it work though, and I'm sure the kids were better for it. I can only hope that for my own home... overflowing with people and love.

4 comments:

Jmom said...

Family was always the most important thing to me. You could tell that when we all got together last weekend. Unfortunately a lot of families aren't like that anymore and it is a shame.

Angie said...

Oh, Laura I so GET what you are saying! The only thing that matters is our relationships. First our relationship to our Heavenly Father- second our relationship to our family and friends and thirdly our relationship to our community- neighbors, co-workers, etc. I wish more people and families knew the truth. Glad to know that you are my friend and that you and your family know the truth and is not blinded by the world's lies. Thank you for singing the song of truth sister!

Angie said...

Sorry- I wrote it in a hurry- "glad to know that you and your family know the truth and ARE not blinded by the world's lies.

Dan said...

Back in town and catching up on the blogs. I agree with your sentiments about family and having your priorities straight.