Monday, March 9, 2009

Eighteen years

That's how long Jeremy and I have been married, as of today. In many ways, eighteen years is a long time. I'm barely the person I used to be. Being a wife and mother has tempered me, given me patience and has changed me in any number of good ways. I think back to my goofy, younger days and I don't really recognize that younger, skinnier person. I guess that's called growing up and maturing.

On the other hand, eighteen years is such a short time. Even with my horrible memory, I remember our wedding day like it was yesterday. So much so that I can't believe it's really been that long. Where has that time gone? One day has moved into another. One year becomes the next. And now, here we are, five homes later and with six kids running wild.

Jeremy and I have not been without our trials. Everyone has them. Some of our trials have been big. Some of them have been heart breaking. A couple I thought would just about kill me. Trials either destroy us, or we learn to use them to make us closer. Jeremy and I have used them to make our marriage stronger, to unite us and our family. Children learn so much by watching us overcome adversity and succeed.

In another eighteen years, Amanda will be 33 years old. Adam will be almost 19. I will more than likely have many grandchildren, running wild and making me crazy, and Jeremy and I will still be together, rocking our grandbabies. Isnt' that a sweet thought??

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I remember your wedding to and the one thing that sticks out was the comment that both sets of your parents were still married and what a good example that was for you and Jeremy. That statement still holds true that married parents are a legacy to their children.

Laura said...

I completely agree. When we watch our parents stay together, come what may, we learn to do the same.

Angie said...

Congratulations Laura and Jeremy! 18 years is a long time, esp in today's culture. I will 2nd the idea of what a wonderful role model it is for us children to still see our parents together, to watch them work through and stay through the good times and the bad.

Sara Rose said...

Oh Laura!! I loved that!! Yes that is a wonderful memory! COngratulations on making it this far!! And here is to the next 50!!! Hope your day is fantastic!

Dan said...

It is amazing how fast time passes. I remember really enjoying your wedding. First of all, it was the first fun family gathering after our wedding, and I found out it was much easier to visit with family members when you are not the one getting married.

I also remember meeting and liking Jeremy's family. As I recall, we were having a such great time with them at the rehearsal that we tried to sit with them at the rehearsal dinner. LOL

Lisa Mc. said...

Laura-
That is so sweet, You made me cry! I too find life soaring sweetly by, holding on for dear life at times. Other times I am in complete control, but always I am amazed at how it seems like just yesterday and then again it seems so long ago! Congratulations on your anniversary! You have such a wonderful family. You have done such a great job with them. Keep up the great work! I love your pics! Miss you!