Here's the boys dirt area:
And the garden area:
Here's a view from our upstairs window:
We moved a wood pile to block off the boys play area from the rest of the garden. We're hoping that will keep the tomato plants from getting squashed.
So, it's a pretty big area. I have to admit, gardening is growing on me (pun intended). I don't love it yet, but I think I like it a little more every year. We get a little better at it each year. We learn more. And the more success we have, the braver we get in trying new things and the more we enjoy it. THere's also something very theraputic about digging your hands into dirt and growing something.
This year, we planted 16 tomato plants, 28 potato seeds and about 50 onions. We also planted nine rows of carrots (!!), two hills of pumpkins and a row of cucumbers. Still to be planted is one green pepper plant and a jalapeno pepper plant. It needs to be a little warmer before I put those out. I'm also thinking of getting some strawberry starts.
It sounds like a lot, but I'm not sure how much of it will actually live. We're not very good at this yet, but we're trying. And I figure if we get more than we can eat and/ or can, I can always give it away to our neighbors, right?
2 comments:
That's a whole lot of work in my book. I'll stick with my 6 basil plants and the topsy turvy tomato.
we get very minimal weeds so it's not as much work as it might seem. Mainly, it's just making sure it gets enough water because it's not on our sprinkler system. that's kind of a pain.
Post a Comment