Saturday, January 24, 2009

Jeremy

Jeremy's been wanting to go to Montana and we saw a break in Sarah's basketball schedule, so we decided that this weekend would be a great time to go, but then, I had an even better idea.... to send Jeremy with most of the kids and I stay here with Adam where it's nice and quiet, and get some business stuff done. Why are you laughing???

Jeremy reluctantly agreed. Not that he minds having the kids. He's a very involved dad and doesn't mind that at all. He just wanted me to go too. But I talked him into it, thinking it's a great opportunity for me to finish up some projects and close out my 2008 year.

So I stayed home and have gotten my year end done, have gotten things ready for church tomorrow, and if I'm lucky, will even get a toilet cleaned or something. The house has been totally quiet and totally clean for over twenty four hours. Heaven, right? Except that I'm lonely. I miss him. Oh, yeah... and the kids too. :)

I guess it's a good thing that after almost 18 years, we still like being together. Really, he is my other half. He makes me smile. He is, in many ways, my exact opposite. We operate on a completely different set of assumptions and motivations. I'm high strung and a perfectionist. He is not. He's musical. I am not. I like working out. He doesn't. He knows how to relax. I don't.

It's strange then, that in things that really matter- our values, our faith, our family and our relationship- we've always been able to come together right in the middle. We have a strong marriage and I'm so happy I found him and talked him into marrying me. I doubt he knows this, but my heart still skips a beat when I know he's about to walk in the door, when he smiles at me, when we have a little joke between us. I miss him when he's at work. Goofy, I know.

After all these years, I can honestly say that I like who he is. I wouldn't change much about him. A few things, maybe. You know... some fine tweeking. Just a little bit. But mostly, I'd take him just as he is. I know how lucky we are. Yes, I know he'll read this and yes, it will embarass him, but I want him to know how much I appreciate him for all he does for our family and for his friendship and love. I want him to know that he still makes my heart pitter patter. And I want our kids to know that Mom and Dad still have got it going on!

I'll be very happy when he walks through the door again. Oh, yeah.. and the kids too! :)

3 comments:

Jmom said...

You are so precious!! I love you so much. I am so glad that after 18years that your life partner makes your heart skip a beat. There aren't too many couples that could honestly say that. Oh yeah, and the kids too! lol

Lisa Mc. said...

I am the same way. Sean went to Arizona last week and it about killed us both. I can't sleep good when he is gone! And he has been so sweet to me since he got home- he missed us all. I guess that is a good thing! :)

Sara Rose said...

In lue of everything going on with the band I say Aman to having a best friend and lover in your husband! I still have a little while to catch up to your 18 years but I can't wait to spend all of them with Dan! Kudos!!!