Monday, January 12, 2009

My "nap"

Last night, after kids were in bed, I decided to stay up and read. Now, reading doesn't happen very much here. At least not the adult kind. I read all kinds of Dr Suess, Max, Thomas the Tank and Clifford. But a good novel is usually grabbed in quick one paragraph increments while brushing my teeth or hiding from my kids. But last night, I saw my opportunity and grabbed it... and ended up reading til 1:00 in the morning. Somehow my little boys did not get the memo that they were supposed to sleep in, so they woke up, bright and early, at 7:00, just as they usually do. Six hours might almost be enough for most people, but keep in mind, Noah doesn't sleep well. He came in three times last night and had to be promptly escorted back to bed, which is, thankfully, Jeremy's job. Adam does better than his two and a half year old brother, but he woke up twice. So, five times in six hours. Not very restful.

By 1:30 this afternoon, I was starting to drag, so I put Adam down for a nap, put a movie in for Noah, and naively thought I might be able to take a quick nap. Noah quickly let it be known that it would not be happening because despite all my best efforts to ignore him and redirect him, he would not let me rest. First, he ran his chunky little fingers through my tangled bed head, tweaked my nose, saying "nose" each time, pulled my earlobes, felt my eyelashes, sat on my head and gave me smooches. On a side note, I really need to brush his teeth more frequently, but after a half hour of this, I grabbed him and pulled him into a hug and preceded to give him the best tickling he's received in a long time. I love his laugh. I remembered again what I've always known and that is that I have the very best job in the world. I'd like to say I'll go to bed earlier tonight but I'm on book four of a four book series and I don't want to lie to you. I may just be tired for a while.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Laura, I thought your life was a perpetual amount of not enough sleep, so if reading a book late adds just a little to that, I say go for it.

You aren't the only one to stay up late reading a book. Sometimes you just got to do it.

Laura said...

Occasionally, I end up getting enough sleep and feel well rested. Rare, but sometimes it happens. When I'm in the middle of a book... nope.

Sara Rose said...

SO? is it THE books?? you know ?? I have stayed up until 5am one time for a book! I was SO tired the next day! And no my kids didn't get the memo either!!

J said...

Ha HA HA! Welcome to the club!! LOL!

Dan said...

This is why you are a better parent than me. I would have just given my kid a double hit of Nyquil to knock him out so I could go back to sleep. :-)

Laura said...

lol. It was tempting...

Jmom said...

How did you keep from laughing through all of his shenanigans? I think it is so funny--but then grandma's usually do,huh? I'll cuddle and tickle with him anyday!