Monday, December 15, 2008

Small blessings

This morning, I received a call from one of Taylor's teachers. What makes this remarkable though is it's not any of her 8th grade teachers. It's her 6th grade teacher, her teacher from two years ago. Seems he's heard that she's having some trouble in math (her worst subject). He wants her to come by this week (the week before his own Christmas break and a very busy time for teachers) to see him. He even offered for he and his wife to give her a ride home afterwards, but I declined that. The schools not that far away and he's already doing us an incredible act of service.

In case you are not a part of our lovely school district, we have some cruddy math. Kids who are naturally strong in math fair okay, although are scoring low on SAT's and often have to take remedial math in college. Kids who struggle with math concepts are sunk. Mr Harrison has been in major opposition to our math curriculm, so he knows what we're up against.

I'm truly touched by his kindness towards my daughter, who is otherwise an excellent student and all around good kid. He didn't just say "Well, call if you need me" or "Maybe she'd like to stop by". He took time first thing Monday morning to CALL ME and say he wanted to see her two days this week. He took the initiative, took time from his busy schedule to help my daughter, who hasn't been in his class for TWO YEARS. See? There are still good teachers out there, teachers who teach because they truly care about the kids. Sadly, Mr Harrison will be retiring soon. He will be sorely missed.

If you know an excellent teacher, be sure to thank them this holiday season. In my opinion, teachers who go the extra mile for our kids are few and far between. In stark contrast, at her middle school, none of her teachers, counselors or principal even noticed her math grade. Apparantely, if you're not involved in gang activity or doing drugs in the bathroom, you're not on their radar at all.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Glad to hear Taylor has someone watching out for her. We have learned to really appreciate teachers who "look out" for the good kids as well as the problem children. Luckily, we have found more of the good ones than the bad.

Janet said...

I always appreciated good teachers. You know there are always those special few that stand out in the crowd. I remember in high school we had one of our favorite teachers resign mid year due to a nasty divorce. We loved her so much and we literly tipped her room upside down while she was out of the room one day. She was touched- Laughed/Cried when she came back in. I will never forget that and I will never forget her. She really touched my life. I'm really happy Taylor has someone like that in her life. Love you all lots.