Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Musings

Today after church, my mom and our family had a great day. We had a yummy dinner and then talked about the birth of Christ. We did a manger activity and sang some hymns and then decided to take a snowy drive and look at Christmas lights. As we drove around, the kids were happy, looking out the windows and Amanda and Taylor were laughing and joking in the back seat and I suddenly had one of those moments that made me cry just a little. You know, those moments where you know that you have the best life ever, that it couldn't get any more perfect than it is right now.

We are so truly blessed. I am so fortunate to be married to Jeremy. I couldn't have asked for a better spouse. He's my perfect compliment and I don't know how I got so lucky. How many people can honestly say that after almost eighteen years of marriage? We have six fabulous, healthy, beautiful children who love each other and are friends almost always. Our cars are both running, Jeremy's job is as secure as any job right now, we have a warm home, all our bills are getting paid, we have some money in savings. Really, what more could I want? When it comes right down to it, nothing else really matters. I live for moments like this, snowy drives in the dead of winter, with a Suburban load of loud, hyper children. I thought briefly about how my life will change one day, when my kids are gone and how I will be a little sad.

I thought about when I was leaving church today and said good-bye to an older gentleman, a man whose children have grown up and have went on to have families of their own. At the time, as I struggled out the door with a box, a binder, purse, diaper bag and kids, I thought he looked a little wistful, a little sad. I think I know why, and I can feel that day coming when I will be the wistful older lady, standing at the door as a young mom scurries her children into the snow and onto home. There is nothing like a home full of children at the holidays. I've decided Santa does not need to bring me anything. Everything I want, I already have, in abundance.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Ahhh, this is so true Laura. Alot of people these days have all of that and are still not content. They cannot see the blessings before their own eyes. Merry Christmas and I love you!

Jmom said...

yOUR MELONCHOLY THOUGHTS ARE SO SWEET, BUT THEN SO ARE YOU. i DIDN"T TEAR UP LAST NIGHT, BUT i SURE DID WHEN I READ THIS BLOG ENTRY. AND LAST NIGHT WAS A LOT OF FUN, YOU FORGOT TO MENTION OUR BIG UNO GAME THAT JEREMY FINALLY WON. tONIGHT WE HAVE OUR FAMILY SLEEPOVER,(SLUMBER PARTY).TODAY--more shopping!!!